What are Antibiotics?
Antibiotics are powerful medicines, that are mostly used to treat infections, caused by bacteria. Antibiotics can also be referred to as those drugs that are used to fight bacterial infection when the correct antibiotics are needed to kill the disease producing bacteria.
Antibiotic resistant bacteria are germs that are not killed by commonly used antibiotics. When bacteria ‘outsmart’ the antibiotics because the antibiotics were not taken as prescribed or the antibiotics were not strong enough for the bacteria, hence the bacteria grow resistant to the antibiotic.
How Antibiotics are being abused.
- When it is taken without being prescribed by a medical personnel.
- When the complete prescription is not taken as prescribed by the medical personnel.
- When antibiotics is saved for later use.
Effects of Antibiotics.
- Bacterial resistant
- Diseases difficult to treat
What to do to avoid Antibiotic abuse.
- To be used only when a health care professional prescribes (not by self medication)
- Never use antibiotics for viral infections.
- Sensitize the public on the dangerous effect of self antibiotic medication.
- Strict enforcement and adherence to existing regulations as regards antibiotic dispensation.
- Constant hand washing to avoid infection