Pruritis simply means itchy skin. It is a sensation on the surface of the skin that makes one want to touch your body and then use the finger to move up and down scratching the skin. It can occur on any part of the body and can be caused by a lot of factors. Ordinarily, pruritis is not a worrisome experience. Every individual scratches at some point or the order, but it calls for attention when the itching causes discomfort and is extraordinary. However, 95% of itchy skin can be treated without visiting the hospital with cream or over the counter drugs.
CAUSES OF PRURITIS
As I stated earlier, a lot of factors can cause Pruritis. They include:
- Drug reactions
- Skin diseases as Eczema, Psoriasis etc.
- Dry skin.
It should be noted that anybody can get pruritis, but there are people that are more vulnerable to it.
- People with occasional allergies, hay fever, asthma and eczema.
- Diabetic patients
- HIV/AIDS patients
- People with cancer
- Pregnant mothers
- The aged.
First of all, finding the root cause of the itching and treating any present skin disease should be the first action to take. If the itching is as a result of a particular drug reaction, the medication should be suspended and a doctor consulted immediately, for different medication to be prescribed.
However, proper care of the skin is the surest way to prevent pruritis.
- Use of moisturizers helps in preventing dryness and as well treats pruritis
- Constant usage of sunscreens to prevent sunburn and skin damage.
- Non irritable soaps can also be used.
- Taking a warm bath can also be of help.
- Making use of cotton clothing can help in preventing itchy skin. Certain cloth materials as wool and synthetics can make the skin itch.
- Avoid warm or dry air that can make the skin dry.
- Making use of a clean cool washcloth or a blocked ice by placing it on the area that causes itching is far better in relieving the itching than scratching.
- Prurits can be relieved or stopped with the use of medication, but a doctor should be consulted before such medication should be taken.